About Coach and Player Development Committee
St Marys Ringette Association (SMRA) seeks to provide a competitive, positive and fun playing experience for all players, and our coaches are fundamental in achieving this aim. High quality coaching is critical to ensuring our players are developing the skills they need to be successful, but should also provide a fun environment in which to learn and grow.
High quality coaching is a mix of hard and soft skills including: A friendly and approachable personality that is reassuring for participants Familiarity with the rules of the sport The ability to give specific training or individual feedback to boost confidence and overall performance if required Confidence in handling sessions and any issues that arise We believe that investing in the development of our coaches is key to building a stronger Association, one that will continue to grow in numbers and in the caliber of its players. We have therefore implemented a Coach/Player Development Committee to oversee this important activity. The mandate and membership criteria for the Committee is set out below. If you wish to be considered for this Committee, please contact SMRA president for more information.
- COMMITTEE OBJECTIVES:
- Identification and recommendation of potential coaches for each Division (regional & provincial) within the Association, as per the Coach and Player Selection Process.
- Assist coaches in their development through: coaches meetings to share best practices, training techniques, lessons learned; attendance at practices and games to provide feedback and actionable advice; and review of coaches’ evaluation results so they can learn where they need to grow and improve.
- Help build and oversee the Bunny Program to ensure the objectives are being met and that the overall program runs smoothly.
- Recommend to the Board the formation of teams for each Division (regional & provincial) within the Association, as per the Coach and Player Selection Process.
- Investigate complaints about coaching conduct, informing the Board about the results of any investigation and recommendations for action.
- Supervise adherence to the WRRA requirement for completion of a skills matrix for every player (U8 - U12)
- Provide guidance and support to coaches undertaking skills matrix assessments so that they are completed consistently and fairly.
- Proactively look for opportunities to improve St Marys Ringette Association coaching standards and make appropriate recommendations to the Board.
- The Coach/Player Development Committee will have an elected member of the Association Board as its Chair.
- The Chair will be responsible for ensuring that all objectives are met, all meetings are documented and recommendations are brought to the Association Board for decision.
- Minutes for the Committee will be made available to the Association Board via the Association Board Secretary.
- The Board approves the Committee membership.
- Suggestions for membership can be given to the Association President or Committee Chair for review.
- It is preferable that members are not parents of existing players.
- It is preferable that members are knowledgeable about the sport of ringette.
- The Committee will have a minimum of 3 members, preferably 5, and all members must agree any recommendations made to the Board.
- The Association President will be invited to attend all Committee meetings and discussions but is not included within the membership numbers.
- Coaches will be invited to participate in Committee meetings, where relevant, such as recommending team formations (as per the Coach and Player Selection Process).