President Update September 7, 2020
Happy Labour Day to all of you and I hope you are continuing to be healthy and safe!
As you can imagine, it has been a very busy time behind the scenes here for your St Marys Ringette Association Executive. We are as excited as each of you to see the progression as we move closer to our return to ice! We thank all of you for your continued patience and understanding as we move closer to our goal of another successful ringette season.
Below are just a few reminders of upcoming deadlines and some general fyi items:
Payment (registration fee and lottery) due September 15
- Just a reminder that the first payment for registration fees is due September 15. To date we have about 1/3 of first payments submitted. Thank you! Check out our registration page https://www.stmarysringette.ca/content/registration for exact details and amounts. If you played last year, remember to include the COVID discount.
- For example, if your child was born in 2011, your COVID discount is $70. Therefore $200 - $70 = $130 for first fee. Add the Lottery fee of $100 and your first payment would be $230.
- eTransfer is the preferred method of payment and transfers can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include the players name in the memo field to make it easier to track.
- Cheques are also acceptable and can be mailed to PO Box 2958, St Marys, ON, N4X 1A6. Please ensure enough time for delivery to reach us by September 15.
- Credit card option is not available and sorry to everyone who initially chose that option. As was explained in the letter sent directly to those affected, technical problems prevented this from working.
- Failure to submit registration fee by deadline, may result in the registration being removed.
Waivers due September 15
- All waivers are also due September 15.
- Failure to submit electronically signed waivers by due date, may result in registration being removed.
- As soon as we have the definitive numbers of our membership, we can then better calculate the remaining fees. The second fee structure will be released in a timely manner once we know all of our pending costs
- Our projected fees for this year were initially calculated in the spring using a 2% increase in ice costs. However, now that the Town has released their new ice fees, we know that the increase for the season is approximately 20%. The SMRA have decided to absorb a portion of this increase as a way of saying “Thank You” for your continued support and patience during these difficult times.
- As stated on our webpage, registrations after the initial cutoff date were subject to approval & team availability.
- Once our deadline for first registration payment (Sept 15) has passed, if we have available spots, we can then allow participants who have been on a waitlist to fill remaining spots.
- This season we are limited to how many skaters can be on the ice and how many skaters can be in a group. We are also limited in our ice time (although we do not know what that will be at this point).
- Therefore, some people who registered late, may have been placed on a waitlist if we did not have room in a group. We can only have ten people in a group. Within that group, each five players must have one coach. Players cannot be in more than one group, coaches can only be in one group. Players may have to be moved up or down an age group to accommodate the numbers. This numbers game, will determine how many groups we can have and is still being determined.
- The formation of groups is no easy task. It is a very challenging process and we are trying to maintain the common denominator of what's in the best interest of each player while ensuring it is done in a fair and equitable manner. Everyone has an opinion on how things should occur. Please know, whatever the process, whatever the decision, we are trying to do what we feel is best. All while trying to balance our numbers to meet the imposed protocols. This is still in development and no decisions have been made at this point.
- Protocols are still being created and some have been placed on our webpage under the COVID-19 tab. This portal is still “under construction” but will continue to be updated so please check regularly. Once our final protocols are in place they will be posted, in addition you will receive a copy of everything you need to know.
- The challenge continues to be the coordination between all our partners to come up with consistent messaging. We are governed by Ringette Canada and Ringette Ontario so need to conform to their policies. We are also working with the Town/PRC who are also mandated by their governing bodies and we all fall within the Huron Perth Public Health jurisdiction so all must fit within their protocols as well.
- SMRA has been approved by Ringette Ontario to move to Stage 2 and begin preparing for Stage 3. Stage 2 allows the return to ice for practicing and skill development while Stage 3 allows for mini-league type games. There are 5 stages in Ringette Ontario's plan with stage 5 being normal resumption of play.
- Our Covid Subcommittee is working diligently to ensure our return is the safest possible for players and parents alike. We are eager to return and with our anticipated return happening the first week of October, we are excited but equally cognisant of the fact that our sport will look somewhat different this year. Please keep in mind, we are all experiencing this for the first time.
- Ringette Ontario just released the following video on Friday regarding the processes. Short video, 16 minutes well worth a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7nucTTMDBQ&feature=youtu.be
Thank you so much Everyone! Please continue sending me your questions or concerns.
Michael Lynch, President